Saturday, September 19, 2009

From Grandmother Lina's kitchen


My grandmother Lina was born in 1883 and died in 1973.
She was born on the countryside, but came to Oslo
as a young girl to work as a domestic help.
She met my grandfather, a young man who had also come
from the countryside, and married him.
Together they had five children, and my grandmother
lived in the same rented apartment for , if I remember right,
seventy years!

For me, visiting Farmor (Father's Mother, directly translated)
was not so much about big family dinners (the apartment
wasn't very big, to say the least) but more about breakfasts
around the tiny table in the tiny kitchen, or coffeee time in her
living room. (My grandfather had died when I was four, so
he is not that much part of my memories).

Farmor would sit in her sofa.
Coffee, cakes of different kinds, brus (pop soda) for
the kids on the table.
All the photos of the grandchildren on the wall behind my
grandmother.
She was the matriarch of our family.

So what kind of cakes were we served?
I remember Vørtekake.
Vørtekake my grandmother bought in a bakery.

Then there were "småkaker", cookies of different kinds
she had baked herself in that same tiny kitchen:
Peppernøtter.
Ingefærnøtter.
Serinakaker.
Sirupssnipper.
Kokosmakroner.
Havrekjeks.
Mors smørskiver.

There were waffles she made in her waffle iron.

She made doughnuts. In Norwegian doughnuts are
called smultringer, but in Hedmark where my
grandmother grew up, I once read they call them
"donaser".

Sometimes she had make cakes:
Sirupskake.
Julekake.
Sukkerbrød.
Kokoskake.

Something called Goro. I only remember the name,
not the shape, nor the taste.

So slowly slowly I will add recipes to my blog from my
Grandmother Lina's kitchen - trying them out myself.

No comments: