Saturday, December 12, 2009

"Utedo" is outhouse and it is inside - in a museum


All over Norway you can still see such small outhouses,
though in most places I don't think they are in use any more.
If they are in use, it is probably for a summer house.

But I remember a few outhouses from my life, though not as
elegant as this one.



Place for two, a grownup and a child.
Old newspapers.
Sometimes old telephone catalogues, I am told.

My Norwegian grandmother had a summer house
next to the Oslofjord with an outhouse.

My Swedish grandparents moved to another farm
in the end of the 1950's. Till they installed a WC inside
the house, we used the outhouse.

Another relative has a summerhouse next to a lake.
Still now, visiting her, means using her outhouse.

To learn more about outhouses, you can visit the present
exhibition at the Municipal museum of Moss.

I will have to decide if I am going to share more of what I saw there.
:-)

No comments: