Tuesday, June 20, 2017

What would happen to the chocolate box ?

My Norwegian grandmother, born 1883, would now and then
get a box of chocolate from friends and family.
These boxes were kept in a secret place.
When she served chocolate from these boxes, she would always
use the oldest box.
On one occasion my father gave his mother a box of chocolate,
with an enclosed poem, in Norwegian.
(At that time, Vesle-Kari was my father's teenage cousin.)

"Jeg håper at du ei
vil vandre
inn i ditt kammers
og gjemme den der
blant de andre,
for da kan det hende
at jeg er så innmari
og gir bort esken til
Vesle-Kari."

Rough literal  translation:
"I hope you will not
wander
into your bedroom
and hide it there
among the others,
because then it may happen
that I become so evil/sly
and I give the box
to Vesle-Kari."

No comments: