Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"Søndagstur" ( A Sunday Walk)

In my eyes, being Norwegian means being an outdoor person, coping with the changing weather.

On Sundays you see Norwegian families on their «Søndagstur» (Sunday walk).
Today, f.ex., I have seen a Mom and a Dad pulling two sledges behind them with one child on each sledge, and couples and single persons going for brisk walks.

If you are Norwegian and can see the sun while you are outside, no matter what the temperature is (minus five or minus twentyfive degrees Celsius), you will talk about «wonderful Sunday weather».

Personally, I prefer to be inside when it is cold, but realize that this is impossible and right out stupid in Norway. So I dress up to keep warm and venture outside, at work and after work, feeling like a mini version of a Polar explorerer, laughing at myself, the Mediterranean version of a Scandinavian.

No comments: