Thursday, February 22, 2007

Norwegian: Eplekjekt (Possible free translation "As cheerful as an apple")

The word «Eplekjekt» is not a word I remember myself, but my mother used it the other day in describing the voice of a Norwegian TV commentator.
Suddenly I realized that this word could be used to describe what I, at this point, feel is a particular Norwegian way of talking and behaving – cheerful, optimistic, healthy. You may not feel that way inside, but you put on your cheery mask. Then again, perhaps you do feel like an ad for a health magazine.
Can this indeed be so?
I watch both Norwegian and Swedish TV.
To my ears, the Swedish voices on TV sound more relaxed, like they are talking from their favorite chair at home.
Norwegians often sound like sport stars interviewed after their victories.
Could there indeed be such a difference between the two neighbouring countries?
Can it be that this mostly reflects different media styles in the two countries?

No comments: