Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Letter in a Bottle



The other day, on a family picnic to the beach,
a bottle floating fairly close to the shore, caught my eye.
A letter in a bottle?
Climbing out to check, it turned out the plastic bottle
was just an empty bottle.
But walking carefully through the seaweeds on the beach
I spotted another plastic bottle,
and this one had - incredibly - a letter in it!
My first ever letter in a bottle!

I opened up the bottle and read, in Norwegian, the following:

Hello!
I am a boy 8 years old and my name is Jonas.
I live on a farm and have a pony named Charli
and a bunny named Kaare.
I play football and like terrain bicycling.
I hope to get an answer.
If you want to get to know me, send an email to ........
Jonas

According to the handwriting it looked like Jomas' mother
or probably sister wrote the letter.
When was the letter written? It had no date!
How long had it travelled before ending up on this beach?
It did not say where Jonas lived.
Perhaps across the fjord, right outside Moss?

I sent a short email two days ago,
but I have not received an answer yet.

Will my first letter coming in a bottle on the sea,
stay a mystery letter?
PS. In the old times, such letters were sent in glass bottles.
The plastic bottles give the letters a better chance of being found, I think.

PS # 2 Suddenly, out of the blue, on September 3rd, a surprise email arrived:
Jonas lives on the Horten side of the Oslo Fjord, and he had probably sent the bottle a few days before I found it.
Conclusion: Getting a letter in a bottle was a very enjoyable experience!

No comments: