Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Changing of the Tables



Yesterday my living room had a round table.
When you sit down around a round table,
everybody is equal.
Nobody can sit at the head of the table.
Nobody ends up near a corner.

The table itself I had bought at Varna
Evangeliesenter for less than 30 dollars,
if I remember right.



Today we went to Oslo to pick up this table
and eight chairs.

So what had happened?
Family history won over round equality!

The table and the chairs were made by my
uncle for my grandparents.
This probably happened around seventy or
seventy five years ago.

I remember the table standing in my
grandparents' apartment till my grandmother
died.

Daily meals were eaten on a small table
in the tiny kitchen.
The table made by my uncle was for
special occasions, for festive meals.

When my grandmother died, the table and
the chairs moved to my aunt's house, where
it now has spent another 35 years.
I have eaten meals on this table at my aunt's
place too.

Now, after my aunt passed, my cousin
offered me the table and the chairs.

So here it stands.
A piece of family history.

No comments: