Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Lesson from my Mother: Picking Berries

My mother has loved to pick berries and
mushrooms her whole life.
Being in the forest.
Finding the right places where these grow.
Bringing home her hard work in baskets.
Making jam or preserving what she picked
in other ways.
My mother excels in all this.

A few days ago she went to a farm where you
could pick the raspberries yourself and pay
according to how much you had picked.

My mother came home with six of these:



Then she revealed that it had been very
exhausting to pick the raspberries.
She said that next year she may not pick
any berries, because her back hurts and
she easily tires.



So we ate some raspberries with cream,
and I kept thinking that this was a life lesson:
We may love doing things very much,
but one day our body tells us to do less,
and then to stop doing it.

No comments: