Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween 2009









As I have already mentioned, my experience of
Halloween is seeing it celebrated in American movies.
Now I know that Kate will grow up with Halloween,
it gets more real.
Here she is in her first Halloween costume.

When we were kids here in Norway there was a custom
for children to dress up (nothing fancy like this costume,
just grownups' clothes) right after Christmas and walk,
in a group of children, from house to house.

I think I participated once. We were the children
from three neighbouring families living a little
outside the village.
We knocked on the doors of each family.
There was some element of scariness , and I really
don't know why.
Because it was dark and cold and we were outside?
We sang some Christmas carols when the door was opened.
We then received an orange, I think.

This custom was called to "walk as Julebukk" (gå
julebukk).

Who or what was Julebukk? A Christmas goat?
Was this some old Norse tradition?

I don't know, so I just looked it up on the internet.

It seems to have been a custom to slaughter a goat for
Christmas, and then children would dress up with a
mask of a goat's head, covering themselves in a piece
of skin with the wool on, and walk from house
to house getting some treats from those who could
afford to give treats.

Do children in Norway still do this?
One internet source told that these days children dress
up in whatever they fancy when they "walk as Julebukk",
and that this custom is probably more prevalent
in rural areas than in towns.

Thinking about now, it seems to have some slight
similarity to Halloween.

1 comment:

MarieBeth said...

My grandparents were Norwegian immigrants in the late 1800's. When I was a child (1940's) my Dad would take us Julebukking around Christmas. We called it Christmas Fooling. We would dress up funny, the funnier the better, and go around to people's houses. They were supposed to guess who we were, and they they would give us treats. Often a small bowl of Sweet Soup.
It didn't seem to have anything to really do with Christmas. Sometimes we went Christmas Caroling, but that was entirely different, we didn't dress up.
MarieBeth