Monday, March 8, 2010

My teff and injera experiment


Above is how an injera should look.

Below is one of my experiments.
As you can see, far from the original.
But it was interesting to try.



For the last twenty years I have occassionally eaten injera,
also described as Ethiopian sourdough flatbread.

A few times the injera was made from teff, a special flour
that comes from Ethiopia and Eritrea.

The teff flour is very expensive. I think I paid around
15 dollars for one kilo here in Norway.

So injera made outside Ethiopia is often based on a
mix of teff and wheat, or just from wheat.

According to the text on the teff flour package, teff could be
an interesting option for athletes, vegetarians, coeliacs
and diabetics.

One of the basic principles of making injera,
is to make the batter one day
and fry the injera several days later.
So my kitchen has had the aroma of sourdough
for many days now.

I actually did two batters:

One only with teff and water that was to be used
three days later at the earliest. Four days seemed
better.

The second with teff, water and yeast - a quicker
version to be used the next day. I found this to be better
two days later.

It was also interesting to compare how the two batters
looked each day.

This morning I ate my last injera for this time.

Another time I want to try one of the vegetarian
versions of wot, the stew you serve on top of the injera.

This time I only ate injera, without wot.
Like tasting potatoes, without anything else.

No comments: