Friday, June 11, 2021

The Seagull family in June

 Around June 4th I thought I could see some small heads above roof line.

On June 6th it turned out that there were three baby chicks, and they were clearly seen standing up in the nest. The parent could now be observed either on the top of the chimney or on the roof.

On June 7th the three ventured out on the roof, with one of the parents watching over them. Somebody coming down our street suddenly found himself under attack by a worried seagull parent.

Today June 11th the three chicks were on the roof again, walking up and down on the sloping roof. Sometimes they curl up for a rest in the middle of the roof.

At night they seem to spend their time in the nest.

Will the three of them one day fly away from the roof?



Around June 20th I observed that there were no seagull chicks on my neighbours' roof. The parents were not there either. What had happened? Had they fallen down? Were they dead?

My house has an enclosed  backyard so imagine  my surprise when I discovered two (not three!) chicks walking around the yard with screaming seagull parents flying over our heads when we venture out. My belief is that it is the same  seagull family that has crossed the street.

The chicks look quite wellfed, and every day look soooo much bigger. Occassionally they rest under the bushes.

The parents' screams are quite annoying and seem to be provoked not only from the presence of humans, but also from birds, including other seagulls.

No comments: