Saturday, August 4, 2007

Memories from before the age of 3

What do we remember from our first years of life?

I have two distinctive memories from the winter and spring of 1953 when I was about two and a half years old.

1. I remember sitting in the backseat of a Volkswagen with my aunt.
My father stopped the car at the bottom of some tall steps.
He walked up the stairs.
When he came back, my mother was standing next to him with a bundle, wrapped in a white and light blue baby blanket.
They walked down those tall stairs and the bundle was brought into the backseat, to my aunt. Inside I was shown the face of my newborn baby brother.

2. My aunt was going for a walk with the baby carriage with my brother, and me next to her.
It was spring, and a little cold.
A mother with a girl a little older than me, came towards us.
"See", said the little girl, "the mother is going for a walk with her children".
I remember that, because it wasn't our mother, but our aunt.
I also remember exactly where this happened. We were walking along a stone wall with moss - and it is still there in 2007!

NB. Those stairs at the hospital certainly had shrunk when I was back there 32 years later.

No comments: