Saturday, November 1, 2008

A tiny bit of snow

After last Wednesday's shortlived snow,
and after talking to a friend who loves snow,
and knowing that I myself fancy snow from a distance,
and that Moss has very little snow,
I thought about Denmark.
Denmark!
They have very little snow too.
Perhaps like Moss?

I have already mentioned Piet Hein,
a Dane who wrote wonderful short poems.
Poems he called "gruk".

One of his gruks is called Dansk vintersport.

The Danish version is of course perfect,
but here comes a simple homespun version
by a non-poet like myself.

Danish Wintersport.
Written when the first snow fell

The first snowflake I can see,
then number two, then number three.
Fast by the door, my skis and me.
Oh, wintersport, this year to be?
And as the tenth flake falls - yes, please!
I hurry out to use my skis.

No comments: