Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Different kinds of snow

Today I was thinking about the names
for different kinds of snow we used
when I was a child up in the Norwegian
mountains.

Here are those I remember right now:

NYSNØ New snow, usually we would talk
about snow that had fallen in the
last day or so.

PUDDERSNØ This was a little bit like the
new snow, but more powdery.

SKARE Often the top centimeters were
harder, like a sheet of pressed snow.
Often the SKARE could even hold
over body weight while we skied
- I think.

KRAM SNØ This snow was a little wet and
perfect for making snowballs,
snowmen and building lanterns out
of snowballs.

RÅTTEN SNØ This happened sometimes
in the late spring - if you tried to ski,
the snow would give after, and you
sink into wet snow. It was a little
scary.

SNØSLAPS Here the snow was mixed with so
much water that cars and people
had made it into a thick snow soup.

This is what I remember right now, after
all these years.
When we skied, we would prepare our skies
by applying the suitable ski wax based on
the kind of snow we were going to ski on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_wax

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I came across your blog when I was researching the city I currently live in, Moss Norway. I skimmed through a little bit of it and it is really well done! Let me introduce myself, I am an American currently living in Moss and going to ACN, The American College of Norway. I love it here in Moss...minus the smell of course! I hope you do as well.