Sunday, February 8, 2009

Snow and snow and snow

Arriving at the airport in Chicago, it turned
out that British Airways had not been able
to get their airplane from London on time.
On my grandmother-vacation, I had not
watched the news and heard about all the
havoc the snow in London had caused.

So I was transferred to a Virgin Atlantic flight,
even leaving one hour earlier than the
scheduled BA flight.

We flew in over a snow-covered Wales and
England, but at Heathrow they had solved
any earlier problems they had, and we landed.

The BA plane from London to Oslo took
off according to schedule.
As we got closer to Oslo, it started to snow,
more and more, and the pilot informed us
that we had to circle a little while the ground
crew cleared the landing strip.

Finally we were on the ground and I walked
quickly through the terminal to pick up
my luggage and run out to the bus that would
bring me to Moss.

By now it was snowing very heavily.
No bus in sight.
Only cold passengers waiting.

Then we heard over the loudspeakers:
"Because of the weather, the airport has
just been closed. Sorry for any
inconvenience."

At that point I couldn't even think of
where I may have landed, if our plane
had been redirected to some airport.

I was just intent at getting on the bus
and getting to Moss.
After a delay of more than an hour and
a half, the bus came.
It was snowing and snowing.

The bus had to drive carefully, but we finally
reached Moss.
The streets were covered with snow.
Getting off the bus, meant getting snow up
to your knees.

After some additional problems of finding
the taxi I had ordered in all this snow
chaos, we drove through Moss to my
apartment.

Those are the moments you appreciate
a heated bus and a heated taxi.

Snow snow snow.

PS. It had taken 22 hours from the time I left
my son's apartment till I entered my own.

No comments: