Saturday, January 9, 2010

Haag in my midtwenties


In my midtwenties I was travelling around Europe in
a minivan, visiting art museums with an
artist who was my boyfriend at the time.

I must have felt some inspiration in this environment,
because I did some art work.
These three were done in Haag, the Netherlands.


We drove by a new quarter with brandnew, tall,
monsterous buildings, and saw one little old house
still there. Three of the apartments in that old
house had been abandoned - there were bricks in the windows.
But the fourth apartment had a painted door, curtains, flowers
in the windows and flowers outside. A wellkept lawn.
Who were the people living in that little house?
How long were they able to hold out?



Living in a minivan, meant we felt the weather much closer
than in a regular home. When it rained and was windy,
the metal of the car became like a second skin.

PS. What I remember from that trip was that I did not feel
comfortable sleeping in the minivan on the streets.
From my "good-girl" point of view, we should either have
paid for a spot at a camping site or gotten a special permission
from the owners of the land we parked on.
Well, it turned out the Dutch law said something
along those lines, so on our last night in the Netherlands,
the police showed up and told us to find a camping site -
for the next night.

No comments: