Sunday, March 13, 2011

Candied Orange Peel - Remembering S.



S. was an elderly lady when I met her about forty
years ago. She lived in an agricultural village where
the inhabitants had chosen to live a simple life.


Despite her age (around 75 at the time?), she worked
long hours.
During the day she worked in the orchards.
In the evenings she repaired the picking equipment.

But she also had time for her children and grandchildren.

Occasionally she gave me candied orange peels that
she made herself.
A woman with a big heart, and creative.

In that little village there were oranges.
S. had sugar.
Out of these two simple ingredients she made
presents for her children, grandchildren and others.
Like me.

Today I remembered S. and decided to find how
I could make candied orange peel.
Using these instructions
the result can be seen above.







No comments: