Friday, April 6, 2007

My grandparents' gravestone

Today we visited the gravestone of my grandparents in Oslo.

Here, in Christian cemeteries, your "expiration date" seems to be 25 years after you die, if nobody comes forward to pay for another period.
In other words, your gravestone is removed and somebody else will be buried in that spot.

My grandfather died in 1954.

My grandmother died in 1973, and was buried in the same grave.

In 1998 I heard that the grave was about to be "reused", so I the contacted the proper authority in Oslo, and after paying a fairly small sum, I am now registered as contact address for that grave.

Looking at their gravestone today , I felt good that my grandmother and grandfather have a grave.

My grandparents now can rest in peace till 2013.
Remind me then!

No comments: