Saturday, April 5, 2008

Atlantic Cod = Torsk


http://www.aquanic.org

Being a fish eater, Norway is of course a great place to be.

Not being the perfect cook :-), some advice is always welcome.

Andreas Viestad in his column "Det beste jeg vet"
(The best/most tasty food/ I know) in Magasinet
Dagbladet on March 29th 2008 wrote an article
about cooking fish.
There are two recipes - one for Atlantic cod and one for salmon.

I know I will use his method, so I will start by writing
down the first recipe, but in my own words.

PERFECTLY COOKED COD
WITH MELTED LEMON BUTTER
For 2
2 slices of cod, around 300 gr. each slice
salt
butter
lemon peel

If I have 600 gr of fish,
I need 2.4 liters of water.
Ratio 1: 4 for medium cooked fish

First I put the fresh cod in icecold water.
This will keep the fish firmer.

After heating the lightly salted
water in a pan with a lid
till it boils, I take off the lid,
and put the fish in the pan.
I switch off the heat , and let
the pan with the fish stand on
the side, without the lid, till
the water is a little warmer than
luke warm (around 45 to 50 C).
This gentle treatment of the fish
should make it perfect.

In the meantime, I wash the lemon
in warm water and brush the peel
carefully. Then I prepare around half
to one teaspoon of lemon zest.

I heat the butter on low heat with
the lemon zest.
Just before serving, I heat the butter
a little more and whisk the lemon
butter briskly.

Then I serve the cod on heated plates
and pour the lemon butter over the cod.

Boiled potatos was suggested.
I might just make a salad.

No comments: