Saturday, April 5, 2008

Marking room for my books

Last night my nephew asked if I wanted some shelves for my books.
He offered to put up those shelves.

Those books are still in my other country, so it was actually quite a loaded question, emotionally.
Admitting that I could use some shelves, would mean that I understood that my stay here would be so long, I must at least bring some more of my books to Norway.

Talking about shelves for this specific apartment, also meant that I would have to define how many shelves I could put in the apartment, without feeling I lived in a library.
After all, I am trying to find some balance in my life, and that means Taming the Paper Tiger, as one of the books in my library is called.

My nephew and I then walked through the apartment and saw how many shelves I could put up and where, and he said he can put those up, even before any books get here.

Getting the shelves up, mean I will know exactly how many meters of books I can send to Norway.
That again means I must chose those books and files that are most important to me.

The shelves themselves actually belongs to a relative who is also downsizing that person's book collection.

Decisions.
Priorities.

Piet Hein, already mentioned in this blog, once wrote that if a person owns more than eight things , the things own that person.

Having more than eight books and eight files of documents, at the moment in two countries, is a problem I must solve.

No comments: