Sunday, June 8, 2008

Tertitten - an old train


The first part of a narrow gauged railway
in the area of Aurskog Hoeland was ready for use in 1896.
In 1903 the last part was finished.
Back then this was a railway covering a distance of 57 km.
The width between the rails is 75 cm.
The railway worked till 1960 but a group of entusiasts
have managed to keep 4 km going as a museum railway.
On Sundays in the summer you can travel back
and forth along the four kilometers, even taking
a break on Bingsfoss station.
I have taken this trip once many years ago and
would like to do it again.
I feel a special connection to this train,
popularly called Tertitten.
My paternal family used to live in this area.
My grandfather, as a young man, helped build
the railroad.
My father told me that because my grandfather was
rather short and fairly thin, his job was to bring the
needed materials on a wheelbarrow along planks
of wood to where the big strong guys could assemble
the railway.
A young, short, thin man balancing a heavy wheelbarrow.
You can also check this

No comments: