Monday, August 3, 2009

Langeland

The following photo was taken by a
mini-submarin operated by the Swedish Coast
Guard.
It shows part of the ship Langeland at the depth
of around 110 meters off the Swedish town of
Strømstad, in the Kosterfjord.



Last Friday the ship Langeland was on its way to
Moss with stones to the local factory Rockwool.

The ship was Norwegian, but the crew of six
included four Russians and two Ukrainians.

A big storm broke out. We also felt some of it
here in Moss.

But in the Kosterfjord it must have been really
bad, because the ship went down, and till now
no survivors have been found.

Instead of Langeland arriving here in Moss,
the crew perhaps taking some time off
before going on a new trip,
families in Russia and in the Ukraine have
been informed of what has happened.

We never really know what the next day will
bring.

PS. One or two days after this tragedy,
I noted that somebody in Russia
had visited my blog.
I have no way of knowing who the visitor was,
but in my imagination I saw some family
member of those four Russian seamen
googling in an attempt to find more details
about what had happened.
My blog entry did not give any detailed
information, but I hope the families understand
that strangers in Norway think about them
and extend their condolences.

No comments: