Sunday, August 16, 2009

Lesson from my greatgreatgreatgrandmother: How to stop your husband's drinking problem

My greatgreatgreatgrandmother Kristina had given birth to
a little boy when she suddenly became a widow.
She then married my greatgreatgreatgrandfather Eric.

Eric had been fortunate enough to go to school at
the time few children had that possibility in Sweden.
Though Eric was a farmer, he was often used as a "writer",
writing letters and other documents for those living
in that area.

But Eric had a problem - he would get drunk.
How often and how much we do not know.

Kristina gave birth to another boy - my greatgreatgrandfather.
She now had two small sons.
And a husband who got drunk!

Kristina then decided to shock Eric out of drinking.
How to do that?
One day when Eric came home, he found his
wife very drunk and the two little boys with her.

That was the only time Kristina drank alcohol,
but it must have made a lasting impression,
not only for Eric who stopped drinking from that day on,
but also for the coming generations.

Personally I can drink tiny amounts of alcohol if
I like the taste ( and in most cases I don't),
but drinking alcohol in order to get drunk - an absolute no!

I had not heard the story of Kristina till
just a few years ago, but I always knew that
temperance was important in that part of the family.

No comments: