Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Phoning to talk or to send a SMS?

A comment made yesterday, made me think about
what changes I have been making in my life after I
started to use SMS around two years ago.

If I phone to a regular home number, the person
I want to talk to may or may not be home.
It may or may not be convenient for that person to
take my phone call just then.

If I use her or his cell phone number, the chances of
reaching the person is very big, but again it may
or may not be a convenient time to talk.

So if I send a SMS, I know the receiver will look
at the message when it is convenient for them
(perhaps even straight away), but they will
respond either by writing a SMS or by phoning me
when it is convenient for them.

On Skype you click in your status:
Online
Away
Not Available
Do not Disturb
Invisible
Offline
Skype Me

What would happen if mobile phones and landlines
had similiar status signals/icons?

No comments: