Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Late hours, early hours

Originally I was a night person.
I liked to do my homework late at night.
I was a night person when I was on my own, for my own activities, not for any hectic social life.
I have never been the party girl.

On the other hand, the Norwegian proverb about the advantages of early mornings ("Morgenstund har gull i munn") never applied to me. Even now, in 2007, if it is possible, I prefer to do big projects late at night and till two or three in the morning.

But I did of course I always get up, whatever hour studies, work or life demanded. But it is a decision and not a choice.

Nearly always tired in the morning.
Too few hours of sleep, if you fall asleep late!

Here in Norway the light in the summer goes on and on. It does something to your brain. You feel awake, so when I g0t up at 5.40 in the morning for work, the morning light in the summer really helped me.

Now, in the end of September, days get shorter and shorter, and getting up in the morning is more difficult.

I remember last winter, it felt like I worked the night shift, because it was dark when I came to work and dark when when I left.

My attraction to those late hours and the darkness and quietness, is definitely the ultimate dream of spending time with myself - writing, reading, thinking.
In other words, for me that is doing research.

Late nights are good for research.

No comments: