Sunday, September 23, 2007

My new home : the sitting room


My sitting room has two parts - one centered around a round coffee table and one around a folded dining table.

Before


This whole corner is nearly all from FRETEX (The Salvation Army shop).
The round table: around 35 US dollars.
The skin sofa: around 90 US dollars.
The reclining armchair: around 50 US dollars.
The lamp: around 10 US dollars.
The little TV I got as a present from my former sister-in-law.
The table the TV stands on, my mother bought at a flea market for a dollar and a half!

The curtains are on loan from my mother. My parents once, in Poland, ters of linen for curtains. The curtains were made here in Norway and used in my parents’ big house on the countryside. My mother uses only some of those for her small apartment here in Moss, so for now I can use the rest.



The table had just been brought in


The table can both be bigger and smaller - this size is useful for me right now.
It cost me 16 US dollars!

The two chairs I bought at another private secondhand shop in nearby Rygge.

Also around 16 US dollars for the two of them together!

My mother gave me the rug.
The floor lamp has its own story: My maternal uncle Olle (1924-1944) who died of polio, made the base of wood. Then my parents made it into a lamp, but the lampshade was old and thrown away when my mother moved in 2005. I bought another lampshade at MASVO for a dollar and a half.

Next project: Heating. I am buying two radiators tomorrow. ( Comment a few days later: Yes, that made a big difference!)

Thought: In my other country we use more general light (neons f.ex.) to light the whole room. Here – I think – the rooms are darker with many different light sources. I think Norwegians would define this as cozy, as opposed to ‘too much light’.

No comments: