Sunday, January 27, 2008

How I did not become a knitter

It was no loss to humanity that I did not become a typical Norwegian knitter of sweaters, caps, mittens and socks.

This is the story I tell:

In fifth grade my best friend Nilla knitted a light blue sweater, with no pattern, all by herself.
I was very impressed and asked my mother if I too could knit my own sweater.
My mother and I went to a shop where I chose the pattern and my mother bought the yarn.

I started with one arm and probably knitted the first five centimeters.
Then my mother wanted to show me how it is done - before I understood what had happened , she had finished the whole arm.
And so it went.
My part in knitting this sweater was more or less non-existant.
But I loved the sweater and used it for many many years.


The historical arm of the sweater, also including some historical fraying of the sleeve.


Well, I have kept this sweater for around 45 years, but now, trying to downsize my life, I decided that this particular sweater, after being photographed, should be thrown in the garbage bin, and so it was.

No comments: