Wednesday, January 23, 2008

More thoughts

Waiting for six hours in the transit hall in Praha in the end of December, I wrote a little story about The Man, the Woman and the Blue Car.
I will still have to work on the end of the story, and I will probably never publish it here.
But one part of that story has a connection to what I wrote yesterday about the "advantage" of sitting in the plane between my two countries. "Advantage" and not advantage.

I once used a lot of money to learn how to drive, but I found out I didn't want to drive.
I was afraid of making a terrible mistake while driving, a mistake that would cause somebody else harm.

On the negative side, I have learnt the advantage of being a passenger.
Somebody else is driving.
Somebody else is most of the time chosing the destination.
To my defense I can say I am good at being a navigator, giving directions.

On the positive side, I have found that if I do not drive myself, I can get where I want by chosing public transportation - taxis, trains, ferries and planes.

Sitting on a plane between my two countries, and feeling some kind of relief, is - as far as I see it just now - again not chosing the destination, but being a passenger.

No comments: