Monday, January 28, 2008

Remembering Knut Mykland



These four books are part of my library here in Norway.

They give the names, often photos and a short biography for around 11000 Norwegians who were killed during World War Two.



During my recent visit abroad I, by chance, met a Norwegian lady named Solfrid. During our conversation she told me her uncle had been one of the Norwegian victims of World War Two.



Now back in Norway, I checked the third volume of Our Fallen (Våre Falne)

There I found the profile for Solfrid's uncle Knut Mykland.







MYKLAND, KNUT, lieutenant, Vegusdal. Born October 6th 1913 in Herefoss, son of farmer and lieutenant Eivind T. Mykedal, born 1878, and Torine nee Mykland, born 1889, both in Herefoss. Military command school (befalskole in Norwegian), artium (high school graduate), military school (krigsskole), air force school (flyskole).
Was stationed at the offices of Engineer Corps of Troendelag.
When the war broke out he was stationed at Kjeller.
Was part of the military campaign going from Eastern Norway to Aandalsnes.
Was seriously wounded at Setesmoen April 30th 1940 and died the same day in Molde.
Buried in Vegusdal.

Looking for more information on the internet I found a list of graves in Vegusdal
http://aa.disnorge.no/gravregister/vegusdal.htm
In addition to Knut Mykland's grave I also found that his parents were buried there.
His father Eivind Mykedal died in February 1945, not yet 57 years old.
His mother Torine Mykedal died in 1987, nearly 98 years old.



1 comment:

Ivar Mykland said...

Parents name were also Mykland