Sunday, October 5, 2008

Being protected from the rain

Two nights in a row,
late at night, I have heard
the rain throwing itself
at my windows.


Autumn rain.

I opened the curtains and looked out.
The rain came sideways.
There were yellow leaves
on the wet asphalt.


Autumn rain.

In bed I listened to the rain,
till I fell asleep.

Last night I had just read about some
of my Norwegian ancestors.
Imagine their lives in such weather!

Day temperatures outside are now around
ten degrees Celsius.
For the moment I keep the inside
temperature at nineteen degrees
with the help of one radiator,
though I know I soon will have to add
the second radiator and perhaps
raise the temperature to
around twenty-two degrees.

With 19 degrees inside
and looking at the windy rain outside,
I felt grateful for being protected
by a cosy house
where I can sleep
in a clean warm bed.


No comments: