Monday, October 13, 2008

Four season, two seasons



When I grew up in Norway, there were four
very distinct seasons.
Summer, autumn, winter,spring.
As a child I don't think it crossed my mind
what it would be to live in a different climate.

Imagine my surprise when in my second country
these four seasons were not to be found.
At least not as I was used to.

Snow could be seen on some of the highest mountains.
Snow on rare occassions fell on bigger parts of the
country.
But mostly winter there meant rain now and then,
and cooler temperatures.
Like a bad Norwegian summer.

So the rainy season became my symbolic winter.

Autumn was tricky.
No autumn colors. No winds and colder rains.
No shorter days, at least not very noticeable.

But then two things helped me.
After a year I found one tree in a park that
actually changed colors in September.
Autumn!
A few years later I learnt about a tall flower
that blooms in nature in September, October
"announcing that soon the first winter rain will fall".
Autumn!

But in general I calmed down and realized that
in my new country there were two main seasons:
When it rains.
When it doesn't rain.

Back in Norway after all these years,
I relive the four seasons.
Just now it is a Norwegian autumn.
An impressive range of colors.

But I also miss those wild tall flowers in a country
without autumn colors.
Wild flowers that will soon announce
the first winter rain.

No comments: