Monday, October 13, 2008

A Lesson from my Swedish Grandmother: Only Men Can Drive




Source:
http://www.orebro.se/images/18.37c0d5e810d685ee730800025206/Bild2.jpeg

My Swedish greatgrandfather had a T Ford,
probably similiar to the one on the photo above.
My Swedish grandfather had a small Volkswagen
when I grew up.
There were also horses on their farm,
used for agricultural work.
I remember horses and tractors.

My Swedish grandmother did not drive.
One of my aunts drove the tractor - "like a man".

My mother got a driving licence when she
married my father and settled in Norway.
She still uses it.

Once visiting her parents in Sweden,
she offered to drive my grandmother somewhere.

But my grandmother waited for my uncle to come
"because only men can drive".

I don't drive.
My theory now is that it has enabled me to avoid
being the driver in my life.
I have to a certain extent been the passenger.

Perhaps like my Swedish grandmother?

No comments: