Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dental clinics - then



Dental clinics have come a long way since they
looked like this in my childhood. Thanks for that!

It was in a chair like this, with equipment like this,
that I started my fear of dentists. In Norway
back then, we had a dental clinic at school, and I was
near hysterical when I had to be dragged there at
least once a year.

But when I as a grownup finally understood that
I must go to the dentist at least twice a year to
prevent major problems with my teeth, by then
the drills, the possibility to get help against the pain and the
attitude of the dentists had changed so radically that
I find that for the last thirty years a visit to the dentist
is not traumatic any more.

I don't like it, but I feel the dentists I have used during
these thirty years have been very competent, had very
modern equipment and have been very considerate when
I tell them about my fear.

But seeing this old dental clinic at the local history
center in Horten, brought me straight back to such
a chair and such a fear - a long time ago.

The website for the local history center http://www.lhs.no/

No comments: