Thursday, September 4, 2008

Are there more than one copy of each of us?

Today, at the bus, the old lady in front of me,
keeping a sideway conversation with her friend,
letting me see her face very clearly,
fascinated me.

She looked just like another old lady I know.
Only that this second old lady does not live

in Norway, but in my second country.
This Norwegian lady still looked vibrant, excited,
though I imagine she was in her early eighties.

The lady in my other country looked like this
about ten years ago.
Now she has Alzheimer.

Looking at the old lady at the bus today,
despite the difference in the languages
the two look-alikes speak,
was having the opportunity to clearly remember

that other lady before she got Alzheimer.

Isn't it strange how two different human beings
can look so much alike when they are not related?

No comments: