Sunday, July 29, 2007

Moss: Kleberget










This afternoon I went back to a place I saw the last time more than 50 years ago.

Believe me, I remembered the place fairly well.

At that time one crossed the railway tracks, very close to Kleberget.

Now it is a tunnel under the tracks, next to the southern part of Moss harbor, at the end of those ugly containers. From there you walk along a path that must have been built not too long ago.


Kleberget itself is a fairly narrow, rocky, steep part between the railroad and the Oslo fjord.

I remember sitting on those rocks or on a blanket, but I do not remember being in the water there.

Now in 2007, seeing how steep it is and how deep the water is, I imagine it was dangerous for a little girl to enter the water there.

So we must have been there on some kind of picnic and to lick up some Scandinavian summer sun.

My mother does not remember what we did then, just that 15 years later she picked berries there.

This place, Kleberget, has followed me:

the smell of the salty sea wherever I have been near the sea,

the rounded rocks with patches of grass here and there - especially in Bohuslaen in Sweden.

No comments: