Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Writing my blog

Somebody asked me : "Why do you write a blog, putting your private thoughts and life out on the very public internet?"

Somebody else asked: "As there is no common specific subject on your blog, why do you write the blog?"

* First of all, in my opinion, the reasons for writing a blog are as many as the number of persons doing it.
For me personally it is like taking small snapshots of what I hear and see, as I go along. So of course the only common subject is that I saw and heard about it, and then decided to write a short text.

* Secondly, each blogger has a concious or subconcious guideline for what to publish and what not to publish.
The readers of the blog, can be of of two kinds: those who know who you are and those who stumbled upon the blog and have no clue who is writing.
As for the first group (friends and family) I feel the blog is a convenient way of sharing some of what I see and hear.
In the beginning I sent out group letters to friends as a way of keeping in contact. Then I started to wonder if those on my address list really wanted to read what I wrote when I wrote it, or perhaps altogether needed a break.
The blog gives friends and family the choice when and if they want to check out the blog. Getting a private email message with comments afterwards is nice though.....
But because the public nature of the internet and those who by chance may reach my blog,
I try not to give out too many clues of who I am.
So the blog is a balance act between telling something and not telling too much.

* The third reason for writing the blog, is that it is a way of looking at my present life as an observer, trying to be a more conscious observer and feeling the adventure of this special situation.

* Fourth, Google is letting me keep my texts and photos in one place, free of charge, in a virtual place that I can take with me, wherever I decide to move. A compact virtual diary!

1 comment:

The Picture Lady. said...

I have been asked that same question. And funny blogged it too.