Monday, October 8, 2007

Blogging: for keeping in contact

When I grew up, my mother in Norway would write letters to her mother in Sweden.

500 km or 750 km distance back in the 1950's and 1960's was some distance.
The fact that there were two different countries probably also played a role.
In Sweden my grandparents were farmers, while we lived in Norway where my father had an executive job at a factory.

As for my Norwegian grandmother, the distance to her was maximum 250 km, though for many years our family lived here in Moss, with an hour or so to Oslo and to grandmother.

What did my parents tell their parents about their daily life? I don't know.
I should probably ask my mother.

Now I am in a similiar situation myself:
My son has married in Chicago.
My new daughter-in-law Cheryl and I have not had many hours to spend together, so far.

On the other hand, I will try hard not to be the proverbial mother-in-law.

So, because Cheryl writes a blog, the blog gives me a chance to get to know her a little better, but also to learn a little of their life together in Chicago.

Compared to old fashioned letters, the information gets to me fast and the photos are an added bonus.

Thanks, Cheryl!
I enjoy your blog!

No comments: