Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pultost and three ladies living in Oslo



The Pultost I bought comes from a dairy firm called Synnove Finden.
(The biggest dairy firm in Norway is Tine. )
Synnove Finden was born on a little farm in western Norway in 1882, left the farm to learn how to make cheese, moved to Oslo and in 1928 started her own firm with a woman from Hedmark, Pernille Holmen who had the capital and a trading license. Synnove Finden took it as a challenge to produce first class commercial Pultost.
My grandmother Lina, just like Pernille Holmen, also came from Hedmark. Lina was born in 1883 and had moved to Oslo before she was 20 years old.
I don't think my grandmother knew Pernille Holmen, but she must certainly have heard about her.
Now I am sitting here with Synnove Finden's Pultost in my hand.
I wonder if my grandmother bought her Pultost from the same firm.
During World War Two I know she received parcels with Pultost from her family living in Hedmark.
You can read a little about Synnove Finden in English.
The farm she came from in Sognefjord has a website - in Norwegian, but at least look at their homepage to see the nature.
These days you can stay there as a tourist, but there are no roads so you get to the farm by boat.

No comments: