Saturday, December 1, 2007

Around the world with SMS




This last year somebody I know here in Norway has travelled around the world.
For eight or nine months, I think it was.
Occassionally he sent an SMS from "the global nomade".
Before I erase those messages from my mobile, here are some selected quotes .

"I am going to Burma tomorrow. I don't think it is possible to use my mobile in Burma."

"Came to Bali tonight. New country, new mobile number. "

"Going to Jayapura on Papua. Will try to visit the Dani people. Their "town" is Wamema in the Baliem Valley."

"I am now in Wamema, Papua, Indonesia. It is 2000 meter above sea level. Here they walk around stark naked quite seriously. The men only wear a penis cover that reaches the navel. It is as exotic as it can get. It is now the yearly festival Singsing. It is a mixture of a farmers' festival and the Titanofestival. Extremely enjoyful. And incredible photo opportunities. After this I go back to Bali."

"Going to Australia."

"Flying from Darwin to Sydney today.
This is a strange country.
Old men in short trousers and knee stockings. And hats of skin."

"Going to New Zealand on Monday."

"I am now in Auckland, New Zealand. This country is even stranger than Australia. It is winter here. Down under, you know."

"In Chile now, after a loooong flight. Flying makes it possible to make some quite schizofrenic cultural jumps in a short span of time."

"I am now on the Easter Island. Here it is better than I expected. Will stay a week and play little Heyerdahl."

"Have arrived in Lima, Peru."

"I am still in Peru. Trouble with the ticket."

With a slight delay of a few days, he arrived safely back in Norway.

No comments: