Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Norwegian national dish

Meat is not my favorite, so here in Norway I stick to fish in all variations.
But I read that Fårikål (Lamb in Cabbage Stew) is supposed to be a national dish, and there is a Fårikål Day on the last Thursday in September.

If you want to try, here are some of the recipes I found in English:
gives this recipe

Lamb in cabbage (Fårikål)
(Serves 4)

1.5 kg lamb from neck, shank or breast, together with the bones, cut into serving-size pieces
1.5 kg garden cabbage
2 tsp salt
approx. 4 tsp peppercorns
1-2 tbsp flour
approx. 3 dl boiling water

Cut the cabbage into segments.
Place the lamb and cabbage in layers in the saucepan, starting with the lamb. Sprinkle flour, salt and peppercorns between the layers.
Pour over boiling water. Bring to the boil and let the lamb and cabbage simmer over low heat until the meat is tender, which will take about 1-2 hours.

You may also check this
One recipe I saw had the same amount of potatoes as meat simmering in the stew. That certainly would give you a whole meal in one casserol.

4 comments:

Toxicity said...

NOICE! NOW I IS HUNGGRY!

OH YEA FIRST!

Unknown said...

Sounds bloody vile. I thought Norwegians ate nothing but lobsters.

EF said...

"Nothing but lobsters"?
You better come to Norway and check out what is on the menu when you travel around.
As an observer, it seems that meat dishes are very popular in Norway, often with a brown sauce.
By the way, there is a Swedish TV programm analyzing food and quality of food in Sweden and they call the programm Landet Brunsås (The Country Brownsauce) :-)

Unknown said...

this dish is so good. I made it for my kids and they loved it!