Friday, December 14, 2007

So what is a Lompe?

In many countries street food includes a sausage in a bun.

Here in Norway it is very popular to eat the sausage in a LOMPE (flat potato cake)

Here in Moss they even have a local version where they eat the sausage in Norwegian waffle!

But I am not a meat eater, so my use of the LOMPE is different.


First the LOMPE (lom-peh) looks like this.



Then you put some butter and the Norwegian brown cheese on top of the LOMPE.


Roll it up and take a bite!


These days most people buy readymade LOMPE in any supermarket, but I remember my Norwegian grandmother Lina making them herself.

Here is a recipe if you would like to try it.

LOMPER (10 pieces)

Ingredients:
10 potatoes, peeled, cooked and still warm.
1 tsp. salt
5 tbsp. flour
- Mash the potatoes and add the salt.
- Mix the mashed potatoes and the flour to form a dough.
- Divide the dough into ten pieces of similar size.
- Use the rolling pin to press the dough until the lompe is flat and circular.
- Thickness: around 2-3 mm.
- Fry them on both sides on a hot frying pan without any oil.


.

1 comment:

USA-NOR said...

I'm trying this tomorrow. My Viking has been craving Lomper for a while. I make boller, skolebrød, surkål, etc....but have yet to try Lomper. Now is the time!