Saturday, January 24, 2009

Arriving - in the broader sense of the word


http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wal-Mart_Supercenter_at_Fountain_Square,_Waukegan,_Illinois.jpg

According to what I was once told - perhaps
it isn't correct - Hindus, after traveling for
long distances, sit down and wait for the
soul to arrive too.
In any case, I like the idea.
Your body may reach its destination fast,
but your soul travels much more slowly.
At least when you fly.

So yesterday, my first full day here,
I kept inside.
It was only towards the evening I dared
to join my son on a trip to Walmart.

I come from two small countries,
with populations roughly half the size
of the bigger Chicago area.
Walking into the local Walmart was
reinforcing that fact.
It was indeed very very big.
So many different products you can buy.
I can also see how this easily can
lead you to buy stuff you really don't need.

These days, in my life, I try to downsize.
I try to carefully choose what matters
the most.
It means I am retraining my brain.

In the old times, I would often buy or
receive or keep stuff, in case it would
come in handy one day, or perhaps
for no clear reason at all.

Walking through Walmart, I nearly felt like
a researcher, researching my own reactions
to what I saw on the shelves.

It was interesting to watch, but I knew I did
not NEED any of all that stuff.

No comments: