Sunday, January 4, 2009

Swedish film: The Swindler (Bedragaren)

By chance, tonight on Swedish TV,
I stumbled upon a movie.
A documentary.
The Swindler. "Bedragaren" in Swedish.

I didn't see the beginning.
I don't even know how much I missed.

It was in Swedish, Hungarian and Hebrew.
The subject - a conman born in Hungary
in 1953 who moved around the world,
in everchanging roles.
For example:
The manager of the Hungarian swim team
to the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona.
A Catholic bishop, a special envoy of the
Vatican, in Malmø, Sweden.
An orthodox Jew dealing in diamonds
in Israel.
Taking the money of those who trusted
him and then disappearing.

Even his death in Hungary in 1999, may
have been another deception.

This conman, originally named
György Zemplényi, is probably
still out there somewhere.

The film, despite the subject matter,
left me smiling and chuckling.
It was very well done.
Worth seeing, if you have the chance.
I know I will look for an opportunity
to watch the whole movie.

On page 21 of this PDF document, you can
read a little about the creators of this film,
Åsa Blanck and Johan Palmgren.
http://sfi.se/PageFiles/8729/SwedishFilm3_2008uppslag.pdf?epslanguage=en-GB
Look carefully at the photo of the conman
himself - here as a Catholic bishop.
.

No comments: