Saturday, January 24, 2009

The content of the three boxes

Those three boxes were packed so quickly,
that the content was a result of
1)a wish list my son had made
2) what I had thought about beforehand
3) of impulse.

Here are some of what I had sent.
When I was born, my Swedish grandmother
made miniature bedclothes both for
my baby cot and for a doll's bed.
All in the style used by grownups in Sweden
at that time.
She also made a baby shirt in white cotton
for a doll - I think in the style of a bigger
one she made for me, and that was worn out
many years ago.

Much later, when she lived in an old age
home, she started doing woodwork, and
made wooden dolls furniture.
I was happy to learn that this furniture
seems to fit the old/new dolls house my
daughter-in-law is working on.
I hope Kate will love the bed, the
table, the chairs, the kitchen bench and
the cupboard as much as I have.

In Norway there is a tradition of collecting
silverware. For holidays and weekends many
families in Norway use their silver cutlery.
According to an additional tradition you give
silverware to a newborn baby.
There is the stork spoon with the baby's name,
birth date, hour of birth, length and weight,
but also forks and knives and small silver
spoons.

I have never collected silverware, but I have
a few pieces I received as a baby and then
a few that my son got when he was born.
The only piece I have felt a real attachment
to is my own stork spoon - a kind of birth
certificate in silver. My son's stork spoon
has been equally important because I was
keeping it for him to receive one day,
and because it was a symbol
for a new generation.
Now I have given a new stork spoon to Kate.

I hope to live many more years (thirty plus,
if I will live as long as my Norwegian
grandmother and my Norwegian aunts!),
but I feel that the silverware, the wooden
furniture and the clothes made by my
Swedish grandmother now should
belong to Kate.

I hope it won't be too big a problem for Kate's
parents to keep it.

No comments: